Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Language of Love

Recently, a friend introduced me to Gary Chapman's book "The 5 Love Languages", or rather, she introduced me to his 5 love languages concept. He says there are five ways that everybody expresses their love or likes to have love expresses. First, there is 'words of affirmation', which is the need to hear how much you're wanted, valued, and loved, everyday. The second is 'quality time', time with the object of your affection or friendship, just one on one with no outside distractions. Thirdly is 'receiving gifts' which doesn't mean a love of things, but rather a love of the thoughtfulness the tings represent. The fourth language is 'acts of service',. which involves having little things done for you by your partner to help ease your burden. The final language is 'physical touch', which is not necessarily a sexual or romantic thing. Hugs, touching arms, holding hands, pats on the back, all are expressions of physical touch. My friend and I were talking about this concept and how it might affect relationships, romantic or not. It's good to figure out which language you and your object of affection are most fluent in. For example, if you're a 'quality time' person, then a postponed date will both you more than most. If he or she is a 'receiving gits person, than neglecting everyday gestures or gifts could be disastrous! I never realized how important these little things can be until i heard about them and then thought about my past relationships. My top two languages are 'physical touch' and 'quality time' and that makes SO much sense to me! Take the quiz (here!) and tell me what yours are in the comments!

No comments: