Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Beda 10: Silence Will Fall*

I have just gotten back from a documentary screening about the organization "Invisible Children". I just have to say, I am so moved, inspired, and, yes, a bit sad. This organization helps raise money and awareness for the war against the terrorist group the LRA, which abducts children and forces them to fight in their war. The LRA fights in the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Uganda. Not only does this kill and maim the children in the army, but it destroys their emotional well-being, childhood, youth, displaces and destroys families. The LRA is run by Joseph Kony, and a bill that passed in Congress a few years ago helped put together a resistance/protection plan, which helps alert villages of the LRA using radios, rescues lost children and rehabilitates them, as well as spurring the gov't to find and arrest Joseph Kony.

On April 25th I will be staying silent for 25 hours to represent the 25 years that this horrible civil war has been going on, destroying families and lives. Up until then, I will also be raising money (the goal is 25 dollars) to send over there. I know people always hear about things they can donate to overseas, and I almost always think that helping ones own country first can help other countries in the future, but in this case, I make an exception. There has been little media coverage of this travesty, so many people don't know about it, despite the extreme efforts of Invisible Children. If there's any amount that you can donate to me to pass on to Invisible Children, that would be awesome! And the first person to donate 1 dollar or more will get a bracelet hand-made in Uganda. You can also pledge to be silent on April 25 to raise awareness and funds. Here's the site, check it out!! www.invisiblechildren.com Okay, I'm off my soapbox now :)

*I had to sneak a Doctor Who reference in there somewhere, I'm so excited!

No comments: