Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Beda 5

So it's late at night, but still before 12, so here's my promised movie review. The movie I saw was called NASHVILLE and it starred Henry Gibson (the reason I wanted to see the movie in the first place, I love him), Lily Tomlin, Shelley Duvall, Jeff Goldblum, Keenan Wynne, Keith Carradine, and a bunch of other people who I don't know, but there was a bunch of them. 24 main characters was the count I think. Well, this movie was a sort of musical, but with songs that had a point, not just singing random songs to sing. They were all country-esque songs and most of them were delightful, funny, or beautiful. There were a few that made me want to hug the singer out of pity though... Anyway, the story followed all these people and how they interacted with one another. You may think this sounds like a southern, 1970's Love Actually, but it definitely is not. There were your weird oddballs, like Goldblum, who didn't talk, but instead constantly drove around on his big ass motorcycle or did magic tricks while smiling like a fool. There's Shelley Duvall, the perpetual tease with an affinity for wigs, and there's Barbra Jean (real name Ronee something) the country singer who had a mental breakdown, but is still kind of adored. You also have your normal characters like Lily Tomlin, the white gospel singer with a secret, or Haven Hamilton (my boy Henry), the washed up but still kind of famous/loved Opry star who thinks he's bigger than he is, or Keith Carradine,the handsome, soulful rocker who wants to break from his band and go solo. It had a sembelence of a plot, but really it read more like a truly gifted and in-depth documentary. It ends abruptly and doesn't really flow, but if you throw away all conventional movie-going expectations, I bet you'll really enjoy it, just like I did

No comments: